Opmerkingen en vragen zijn welkom.
Arthur Chevalier microscope in original case circa 1865Â Â This is a rare and important large microscope by Arthur Chevalier. It is signed on the tube â€œDr Arthur Chevalier, Palais Royal 158, Paris”. The retailer was H. Olland, Utrecht who started with the business in 1853
The microscope comes with three objectives and their brass canisters. Optics consist of three eyepieces numbered 1, 2 and 3 with a square stage. The condenser assembly is mounted on a vertically sliding mechanism that allows it to be easily lowered, and below that is a four-position aperture wheel. Focus is via a screw and spring mechanism internal to the main vertical support pillar. The illuminating mirror is mounted to an elaborate articulating arm. The microscope and stage assembly is supported via a compass joint by one pillars which themselves are mounted to a massive brass base. Accessories include three brass rods of an unknown function, a brass support for the bull’s eye lens, a plane glass slide. The microscope and accessories can be stored in the included mahogany case.
Charles Chevalier (1804-1859) began working with his father, Vincent (1770-1841), after completing his apprenticeship (1819-1821) in the mechanical workshop of a certain Godelar. In 1832 the partnership was bitterly dissolved and Charles left his father to found his own firm at the Palais Royal, 163, Galerie de Valois. After Charles Chevalier and his wife signed an agreement on the 5th of April 1849 to rent a shop at the Palais Royal No. 158, their shop moved from No. 163 to 158 in the same Galerie. In 1842, Charles Chevalier published his first and only catalogue describing his microscopes.